LAURA A KASTER
Laura A. Kaster brings to her work as a neutral over 30 years of experience with arbitration, mediation and settlement negotiation in a wide variety of complex commercial disputes. In 2018, she received the Richard K. Jeydel Award for ADR Excellence and Civility from the first ADR Inn of Court in the Country, the Garibaldi Inn. In 2014, she received the Boskey Award from the New Jersey State Bar Association. It recognizes the ADR Practitioner of the Year who has contributed to the public, the bar, and the profession.
Ms. Kaster Is a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center Tech List. She has been selected as a member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. She serves as an arbitrator for:
- the American Arbitration Association
- CPR Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
- CPR Technology/IP Panel
- Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center
Ms. Kaster is a CEDR accredited mediator and has been certified as a mediator by the International Mediation Institute (IMI). She has been recognized by Who’s Who Legal, Mediation 2015-2018. She has served as a mediator for:
- American Arbitration Association – Panel of Master Mediators
- CEDR (the leading independent commercial ADR provider in Europe) Global Mediator Panel
- Roster of Mediators for Civil, General Equity and Probate cases for the New Jersey state court system
- Roster of Mediators for the Commercial Division Alternative Dispute Resolution Program for the Supreme Court of New York
- Roster of Mediators for the New Jersey Bankruptcy Court
SPEAKING / TEACHING
Ms Kaster was one of the creators of the intensive training for the panel of Bankruptcy Mediators sponsored by the NJ Bankruptcy Court. She has spoken at the College of Commercial Arbitrators Annual Meeting , AAA/ICDR Annual Meetings, ABA Dispute Resolution Section annual meetings 2010- 2018, the NJSBA Annual Meetings , ADR Day PLI, NJAPM, and NYSBA Dispute Resolution Section Annual Meeting.Ms. Kaster is an adjunct professor of Dispute Resolution Processes at Seton Hall Law School. She has also created Webinars for the AAA, CPR and NJAPM.
EXPERIENCE – IN – HOUSE
As chief litigation counsel for AT&T Corporation for almost 10 years before devoting herself primarily to dispute resolution, Ms. Kaster supervised litigation, arbitration, mediation and or settlement of all AT&T patent cases, trademark and trade secret cases, other intellectual property matters involving telecommunications, software, internet, audio, and related technology, class actions, post-closing disputes relating to AT&T’s purchase and sale of significant businesses, such as its sale of satellite and submarine businesses, and for litigation that ultimately allowed AT&T to sell the Salt Lake Tribune.
She was responsible for matters, including disputes involving multimillions of dollars, involving complex supplier, outsourcing, and major customer disputes and international arbitrations. Several of these matters involved multiple parties, including the resolution of AT&T’s claims against 50 insurance carriers arising out of the damage to the World Trade Center on 9/11. She has handled matters under the AAA rules, CPR rules,ICDR, ICC and other international proceedings.
She served as AT&T’s lead counsel on several seminal cases, including, AT&T v. Microsoft, a patent case which was settled at trial with a novel carve out for an appeal, and AOL v. AT&T, which she briefed and successfully argued before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals that “You’ve Got Mail” was generic for indicating the receipt of email.
Ms. Kaster handled and resolved class actions and class action appeals in employment and ERISA related disputes and was involved in establishing AT&T’s consumer arbitration program and its retention and email policies. She had wide exposure to e-discovery.
LAW FIRM EXPERIENCE
Prior to her work at AT&T, as a partner at Jenner & Block, Ms. Kaster handled a wide variety of complex disputes and developed special expertise in disputes involving intellectual property, technology, environmental issues, taxes, fee litigations and sanctions, attorneys fees, closely held companies and estates.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION TRAINING AND AFFILIATION
Ms. Kaster was Chair of the Dispute Resolution Section of the NJSBA 2011-13 and is President of the Judge Marie Garibaldi Inn of Court, devoted exclusively to alternative dispute resolution 2015-2017. In 2014, she was a co-developer and co-trainer for the NJ Bankruptcy Court mediation panel. She is a member of the American Bar Association (Dispute Resolution Section and its Women in Dispute Resolution Committee); Co-Editor in Chief of NY Dispute Resolution Lawyer for the New York State Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section; a member of the Board of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights; and a member of the Diversity Task Force of CPR, and the ADR Inclusion Network.
Her dispute resolution trainings include:
- The CIArb/Columbia University Certificate Program in International Arbitration 2015
- College of Commercial Arbitrators Annual Meeting 2012 – 2015
- CEDR Advanced Mediator Skills Training 2011
- AAA Maximizing Efficiency & Economy in Arbitration 2011
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference 2010-2014, 2016
- AAA/ICDR Neutrals Conference 2011 and 2016
- Pepperdine University Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Vermont 2010
- Center for Mediation in Law, Self-Reflection in Action 2011, 2010 and 2009
- CPR Advanced Mediation Training 2009
- FINRA Chairperson training 2009
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards 2009
- AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics 2009
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference 2009
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Training AAA Arbitration Fundamentals and Best for New Arbitrators, 2008
- New York State Judicial Institute, Advanced Training for Commercial Division Mediators 2008
- Center for Mediation In Law, Self-Reflection in Action for Conflict Professionals 2008
- CPR Annual Meeting 2008
- Center For Mediation In Law Advanced Training Series 2007
- CPR, Intensive Mediation Training, 2007
- NASD, Arbitration Basic Training, Expungement, Revised Code of Arbitration Procedures, 2007
- ABA Dispute Resolution Section, Third Annual Arbitration Training, 2007
- NJICLE, Advanced Mediation Clinic, 2007
- NJICLE, Arbitration Training Course, 2007
- The Center for Mediation in Law, Mediation Intensive Training, 2006
She is admitted to the Bars of Massachusetts (inactive), Illinois(inactive), New Jersey, New York, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, the United States Supreme Court, The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh, and Tenth Circuits.
In January 2013, Laura was named as a Founding Member and Executive Committee member of the New Jersey Chapter, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals. She is a member of the Executive Committee of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
Ms. Kaster holds a BA from Tufts University (Political Science); and a JD, magna cum laude from Boston University, where she was Notes Editor for the Law Review and recipient of the Melville M. Bigelow Award “for the greatest promise as a teacher and scholar in the law”. Following law school, she was a law clerk to then Chief Judge Frank M. Coffin of the Federal Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Ms. Kaster is listed in “Who’s Who in America” (2007-2018) and “Who’s Who of American Women” (2001-2018). She is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.